Ah, Election Day is over in the United States; all but the counting. Thank God. I am so very tired of the mudslinging trash talking candidates.

If they were kindergarteners they all would be either put down for naps because they are so cranky, or given a time out without an afternoon snack.

If they were older, they’d be in the principal’s office to see what punishment would be given to them fitting the awful things they’ve said about the other kids (or candidates in this case).

Let’s take a look at the brilliant Robert Fulghum’s words from “ALL I REALLY NEED TO KNOW I LEARNED IN KINDERGARTEN” .

These are the things I learned:

Share everything. – Our candidates need to include tax returns and things they aren’t proud of, keep your nose out of the other candidate’s business.
Play fair. – Ah, this is where the guys with more money and power smear the little guys, other guys, anyone that hasn’t disclosed something (see the first line).
Don’t hit people. – Especially below the belt.
Put things back where you found them. – Maybe the trust of the American people?
Clean up your own mess. – See above. Quit blaming everyone else for the stuff you’ve done.
Don’t take things that aren’t yours. Ah – tax money, flying around in Air Force One to campaign?
Say you’re sorry when you hurt somebody. Word hurt. Every kindergartner knows that.
Wash your hands before you eat. I’d like to assume all the candidates have this one covered.
Flush. Ditto!

Warm cookies and cold milk are good for you. Yes, and quit trying to regulate how big of a cookie is good for us. We all know how many calories are in cookies and if we choose to eat one or ten, that is my choice.
Live a balanced life – learn some and think some and draw and paint and sing and dance and play and work every day some. I worry that the work some isn’t happening. Quit campaigning and complaining.
Take a nap every afternoon. Maybe they wouldn’t be as cranky if they took a little rest. 
When you go out in the world, watch out for traffic, hold hands and stick together. Branch out and have a bit of fun, but be careful.
Be aware of wonder. Remember the little seed in the Styrofoam cup: the roots go down and the plant goes up and nobody really knows how or why, but we are all like that.
Goldfish and hamsters and white mice and even the little seed in the Styrofoam cup – they all die. So do we. What will your legacy be?
And then remember the Dick-and-Jane books and the first word you learned – the biggest word of all – LOOK. If you are looking and learning, you won’t be trashing the other candidates.
Everything you need to know is in there somewhere. The Golden Rule and love and basic sanitation. Ecology and politics and equality and sane living. See?? Politics are even mentioned.

If I was asked to run elections, I’d take away the war chest of funds amassed by all the candidates. The favors and preferential treatment of companies and individuals would stop with the halt of this money. Anyone running for office must use at least 75% of his or her time explaining their platform, believes and plan to improve whatever needs improving. The other 25% of the time can be spent telling us more about him or her as a person. Play nice and don’t say bad things about the other guy.

The hours they campaign must be limited. Especially if you are in office. If you had a “real job” – read teacher, office worker, truck driver, shoe maker … you get the idea – you can’t run off for weeks at a time trying to drum up votes. Seriously, with social media what it is, we can know all the candidates intimately without the outlay of millions of dollars.

And if you are the current President of the United States, keep yourself off of late night talk shows. It is just tacky.

I hate politics and political agendas. I love the United States and want the people that live here to trust their leaders. Maybe it is asking too much in this day and age, but I don’t think so. I put my trust in the system as crazy as it is and voted tonight after a long day at work and the cold rain. No matter what you think about politics, I hope you voted. It is your right and duty as an American. May the best candidate win!

[Source: “ALL I REALLY NEED TO KNOW I LEARNED IN KINDERGARTEN” by Robert Fulghum. See his web site at http://www.robertfulghum.com/ ] pictures from Google Images.